There are numerous mental health resources in the Waterloo Region. If you are experiencing a crisis, feeling stressed out, or just need someone to talk to, here are some resources to get you through. Please note that if you are experiencing a mental health emergency you should go to Counselling Services or your nearest Emergency Room if it is after hours. The closest Emergency Department to the University of Waterloo is at Grand River Hospital.

Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)
Self Help Alliance
Here 24/7
Crisis Services of Waterloo Region
Grand River Hospital Mental Health Services
Mental Health Blog

If you know of any other services in the community, please email them to

Engineering Counselling

Engineering Counselling offers three types of counselling: personal, study skills, and career planning. There is no charge to registered students, staff, and faculty, and it is confidential and voluntary.

Here are a few issues that a counsellor could help you with:

  • Transition/adjustment
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Family struggles
  • Sexual abuse
  • Eating disorders
  • Roommate problems
  • Relationship issues
  • Grief
  • Stress management
  • Self-esteem

Engineering Counselling offers workshops in group, and individual sessions, to help you through academic difficulties. For example: study skills, like time management, note taking, reading and concentration, effective listening, and preparing for exams. Or, preparing for and writing exams.

Contact the Engineering Counselling Office E2 1772, (519) 888-4761 (extension 84761 on-campus) to book an appointment.


UW MATES (Mentor Assistance Through Education and Support) is a peer-to-peer counseling program run through UW Counseling Services. The Engineering Society has partnered with MATES to run this program for engineering students. By applying through the UW MATES website, you will be paired with a student in engineering who has been trained extensively to help in areas such as stress, relationships, mental health, transitioning to university life, and adapting to the culture in Canada.

To sign-up for an appointment, send an email to

You can visit the UW MATES website at

If you have any questions about the program in engineering, you can contact our MATES Commissioner  (